VNC server

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Thu Nov 11 00:56:02 UTC 2004

Greetings:

	I use VNC server to do remote administration of my client's machines
over a VPN tunnel.  It has been great for that.  But I have a desktop user
who would like to access their Linux desktop from home.  I can setup
different vnc sessions with the line in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers that reads
as follows:

VNCSERVERS="1:root 2:ruby"

Once I have created the necessary files entries under /home/ruby/.vnc/ a
service vncserver restart will create both a root session 1 and a ruby
session 2.  So far, so good.

	The problem I have with the service launched vncserver is that if
you log out of the session, you can't restart it.  You can get connected
again, but there is no presentation manager running on it - it's just a
blank screen.

	The xstartup file within the .vnc directory looks as follows:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

	Is there a way to configure the session to restart if it's logged
out?  What am I missing?

Scully