GRUB in the MBR

Igal Baldran ZYB at il.ibm.com
Fri Nov 12 13:58:10 UTC 2004

Hello,
What are the minimum files I need to put in a first partition on the disk
so GRUB will work with out full Linux installed on the Disk.
I need to boot two Win2003 OS with GRUB but I do not want full Linux
installation on the disk.
I thought about creating three partitions:
   first will host the minimum files of GRUB to make it working.
   To the second I will ghost a windows OS
   To the third I will ghost a second windows OS
Please advice.
Thank you.

             "Otto Haliburton"
             <ottohaliburton at c
             omcast.net>                                                To
             Sent by:                  "'General Red Hat Linux discussion
             redhat-list-bounc         list'" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
             es at redhat.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             12/11/2004 15:42          RE: GRUB in the MBR

             Please respond to
              General Red Hat
             Linux discussion
                   list

No you cannot install stage2 into the MBR it is too big.  Only stage1 and
stag1.5 can be written to the MBR.  Stage1.5 is written to the area
immediately after the MBR if it is available stage1.5 is not always
present.
These modules sole purpose is to load stage2 so they are very small.