HWADDR variable in RHAS 3

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Tue Nov 16 14:44:19 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this:

IBM 306 with 3 e1000 cards, 2 onboard and 1 add-on PCI.

After an up2date of the kernel to 2.4.21-20.ELsmp (and a reboot to use
the new kernel) eth1 and eth2 flip-flopped.

I tried to manually force the cards to be associated in a specific order
by setting the HWADDR variable in:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[x]

but this caused an error (which didn't get logged to /var/log/messages
but was displayed on the console) to the effect of "Can't assign MAC to
eth2, already in use" [my paraphrasing]. (This is a production box so I
had to get it back working and couldn't spend more time testing)

I quick search on bugzilla showed this to be a bug in earlier releases
but also stated that it was now fixed.

So, before I open a new bug report has anyone else seen this behavior
under RHAS-3 (Update 3)?

Thanks,
Harry