unset global editor symlink

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 06:43:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 23:32 -0500, Bob Metelsky wrote:
> Greetings - When I first installed RH  I had vi as the default editor .
> I then installed other editors and somehow vim got symlinked to vi.
>
> I dont mind using vim over vi, I just would like to be able to change it
> if needed.
>
> which vi
> alias vi='vim'
>     /usr/bin/vim
>
> vi actually resides in /bin/vi and If I call with the full path vim
> still gets called
>
> which vim
> /usr/bin/vim
>
> I dont know where this alias is set.  Ive tried to reset it in my
> .profile alias vi='/bin/vi'
> This still calls vim
>
> This seems to be set as a global alias or symlink. I want to define MY
> editor!  ;-)

Use the alias command without arguments to show all currently defined
aliases. Using full path to an executable is full path, a common way to
avoid invoking an alias.

So, what do you get when you do:

ls -l /bin/vi

On my system, that shows:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 572392 Oct 19 15:37 /bin/vi

Which is clearly a different file from:

ls -l /usr/bin/vim

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1405896 Oct 19 15:37 /usr/bin/vim

You might try this:

rpm -qf /bin/vi
rpm -qf /usr/bin/vim

And see what you get.