RHCE sendmail configuration (m4 or .cf?)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Nov 17 19:14:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:55:38AM -0600, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> I don't use sendmail, I prefer postfix.  However, as I understand it, the
> RHCE exam covers sendmail.  So, since I'm putting in a mail proxy at work,
> I'm doing it in sendmail for the practice.  However, I have a question.

The RHCE exam has traditionally been results-based, not product based.
You can use either postfix or sendmail.  As the course instructor told
me during the course prior to the exam, he didn't care if I wrote an httpd
daemon in perl instead of installing httpd as long as the server did
what it was supposed to do. Of course, I chose the Apache route :-)

As the prep says, you must be able to configure an smtp server - it
doesn't say which one.  Read the prep guide multiple times - you should
know *everything* that's in there.

At least one of the course instructors has "resident Postfix bigot" in
his signature - that should tell you something :-)

I've traditionally used sendmail but taught myself basic Postfix prior
to the course & exam.  I feel it's important for an RHCE to be able to
proficient in both although you'll naturally have your personal
preferences later on.

> Should I make my changes in the m4 file and "compile" them to the .cf
> file, or should I just manually make them in the .cf file?

You should always make changes in the m4 file if you can.  Much, much
more readable and maintainable. Heck, sendmail is tough enough without
editing the cf file directly :-)

        .../Ed (who aced the RHCE exam earlier this year)

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org