Display question

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Nov 18 05:13:36 UTC 2004

On November 16, 2004 08:04 pm, Bob Metelsky wrote:
> Hello All, Ive been lurking on this list for about a week. Im an oracle
> DBA and am setting up Oracle RAC in a lab environment, using  RH ES 3.0
> and the following excellent document  http://www.puschitz.com/
>
> Ive installed Linux and although its a cosmetic problem, my issue is I
> cant get a better resolution than 800x600 on any machine
>
> machine 1 Compaq preserio ATI Mach 64 3D Rage Pro 4 M  best is 800x600
> on a 17 in monitor
>
> machine 2 dell laptop NVIDIA GeForce 440 Go (dell mobile) this x window
> is only about 5 inches by 5inches
>
> machine 3 Dell inspiron 32M Nvidia Geforce MX With tv out  800x600 17 in
> monitor
>
> from display manager the probe monitor is disabled (grayed out)
>
> Id like to get a nice 1024x768
>
> What do I need to do?
>
> TIA
> Bob
>
> --
> "Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
> highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify
> some other error located close to where the real fault lies."

HI,
if the gui tools are not working, you can also edit the config file. The
lasteast releases of X has the config file name changed (it's in Fedora 2 and
RHEL 3 is probably the same). I think it is now called /etc/X11/xorg.conf or
something, the older one is /etc/X11/XF86Config. Make a backup copy, then
edit it and add multiple resolutions to the display section (example below)
then restart X and you will be able to cycle thru the resolutions with "ctrl
alt +" (contol, alt and the num pad's + or - key). Not sure how well that
works on a laptop.

Here is the section you want to look for:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Display 1"
        Device     "MATROX CARD 1"
        Monitor    "Display 1"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     8
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Above, X will try to start with the default colour depth (24) at 1280x1024.
So if your shows
  Modes    "800x600"
try
  Modes    "800x600" "1024x768"