How to move whole RH9 to another hard-disk?

Yin Ming yinming at mdc-ds.com
Thu Nov 18 06:17:31 UTC 2004

Hi, all

I recently bought a new hard-disk, to replace the old one. But I got
some problems during moving the whole system to this new hard-disk.

The old hardwares are:
ide 0 master:	QT HD win98
ide 0 slave:	CDROM
ide 1 master:	MX HD RH9

The BIOS boots from the hd1(the ide 1 master MX HD), then GRUB on this
disk's MBR. then the kernel and system which were both in the single
partition of MX HD.

Now, I pluged the new ST HD on ide 0 master, replacing the old QT HD,
and I'm going to use it as the system disk, and the MXHD as the backup
disk.

ide 0 master:	STHD RH9
ide 0 slave:	CDROM
ide 1 master:	MX HD data backup

To do this moving, I mount the STHD in /mnt/st, then copied all the
files ( except /dev, /proc and /mnt etc. ) to /mnt/st, the STHD, then I
installed the GRUB on STHD's MBR via:
root (hd0,1) #the linux root partition on STHD
setup (hd0)
quit

And edited grub.conf and fstab to appropriate devices. Then reboot, but
got a failure before the kernel's calling to init, I mean, after initrd
finished, it printed out something like "Cann't get an initial console "
then halt...

Another problem is the GRUB on this new disk cannot use the graphic mode
to display splash screen. My monitor got black if I enable the splash in
grub.conf. I think it's relative to the "cann't get an initial console"
problem.

Strange, it worked fine on the old MXHD, and this new disk hasn't any
bad sectors. How to move whole system to another disk? I don't want to
reinstall all the stuff... Help.