Redhat 9 wired freeze and halt

Thierry ITTY thierry.itty at besancon.org
Thu Nov 18 09:27:11 UTC 2004

I agree

I had freeze problems on machines, usually at night, with almost nothing in
the logs. I had a clue with ide errors, timeouts, and so on, but...
2 machines were connected to a enterprise-wide lan, and for replication
shared a private gigabit switch on a second NIC. this switch was DC powered
and had no electrical grounding. Once I had wired this switch to both
chassis (the switch and the 2 machines were close to each other), my
problem disappeared and since that no one did freeze anymore.
I think that the sustained load of 200+ Mb/sec due to rsync'ing file
systems at night was generating some static charges and that sometimes
there were discharges generating at least io errors or at most system freezes.

I think electrical weakness is really a clue to most freeze problems

hth