locking a console keyboard

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Nov 19 04:07:32 UTC 2004

On November 17, 2004 12:06 pm, Thierry ITTY wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have some red hat linux servers in various locations where people come
> and go. They stay with a display and a keyboard, (no mouse, graphics, and
> so on), waiting for a login. Sometimes people (usually young kids) type
> garbage on the keyboard, maybe hoping something to happen.
> I wondered how I could lock the keyboard with some magic sequence.
> So the official admin would have to type this sequence to unlock the
> keyboard, then enter his login, and this would avoid pages of garbage on
> the display
>
> Is there some tool or a patch to getty to do this ?
>
> TIA

I don't know of any way to do what your asking, but what about removing the
keybrd & video and use either ssh (best choice) or even a kvm or serial
console in a close but secure closet or room?

...remember those annoying keys that came with every pc so you could lock the
keyboard but no-one ever used them?  :-)
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce