Remote Screenshot

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sat Nov 20 17:05:36 UTC 2004

On November 20, 2004 01:46 am, Jithesh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any utility in Linux by which I can take screenshot of a remote
> system. I don't need an entire remote X controller but which will do the
> same function of gnome-panel-screenshot from a remote system.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> --
> Jithesh <jitzpop at hotpop.com>

Hi Jithesh,
Depending on what/why you want to capture, and where the system is (security
issues), you could use vnc or remote X (via gdm) to access the remote systems
X. That would not be the active desktop on the system, but a new session.

If you want to get a snap of the existing users desktop, at least with KDE,
there is a "desktop sharing" utillty.

With either one, your local screen capture util should be able to grab the
locally-displayed remote desktop.

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce