SSH login for normal users using authorized keys

Dave Basener dbasener at aurora.edu
Mon Nov 22 20:00:36 UTC 2004

Wade Chandler wrote:

> Mike Burger wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Jithesh wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was able to create successful login for the root account from a
>>> remote
>>> client with the help of the public key and the authorized key. But when
>>> I tried to do it for a normal account it still asks for the password.
>>>
>>> Here is what I have done
>>> 1. Generated the public key in the client machine.
>>> 2. Copied the same into the server's normal user account's
>>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
>>> 3. Changed the permission to read only for the file authorized_keys
>>>
>>> I did the same thing for the root account and it worked but not or
>>> other
>>> users.

It looks like you have done what I have done, but just as a check you could look at the procedure that I have documented at:

http://hermes.aurora.edu/~dbasener/docs/sshKeys.html <http://hermes.aurora.edu/%7Edbasener/docs/sshKeys.html>

Dave Basener

--
"... be the change you wish to see in the world."  - Gandhi

David Basener               http://www.aurora.edu/~dbasener
System Administrator                Dave.Basener at aurora.edu
Aurora University                              630 844 4889