GUI can't start !

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Nov 24 02:12:36 UTC 2004

Crucificator wrote:

> Gee, Ed, you're so patient (or maybe you read minds :))) ). I get more
> and more iritated by people saying: "Ok my thingie doesn't work. Please
> advise.".

Well, I approach the situation with the assumption (proven most of the
time) that the person asking the question isn't well versed in the
subject matter.  I mean, if I were going to get irritated right off the
bat then it doesn't help me or the person making the query if I decide
to respond.

However, when after asking questions of the OP all I get is more
information that *they* think I need and they *don't* answer the
question then, yes, I can get irritated as well.  When that happened in
the past I used to kick the cat down the stairs.  But now we have 3 cats
and they have started to kick back as well as devising other methods to
strike back.

> I have users being more specific in asking questions. They say: ok, so
> when I try to open microshaft word it says that ...
> This guy says that he can't start gui but he can't login to the machine.

He did mention that he can login to the machine from another system from
an XP or Win2K box.  But, he can't seem to get to the console login prompt.

One could argue that he should have been guided toward booting in
single-user mode....but it seemed easier to have him login via the
XP/Win2k route and disable level 5.

But, we haven't heard anything more from him....so we don't know where
he is at....

Regards,
Ed

P.S.  I *love* my cats and would never think of kicking them down the
stairs.  They, on the other hand, show no remorse when they pounce on me
in the middle of the night for the apparent fun of it.

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"