Perl script Problem with Linux

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Nov 25 06:58:40 UTC 2004

Padiyath Sreekumaran wrote:

>    I have a perl script which reads a configuration file. This
>    Script works on SUN as well as Tru64 to certain extend. Since I donot
>    have all the input files on SUN and Tru64 the script stops. The
>    Problem on Linux is that it dies immediately in line 9 of the
>    Configuration file. Iam using Perl version 5.8 and Redhat 9.0. The
>    problem is in the routine read_conf of the perl script. Iam not an
>    expert on Perl. Can any one help me? Am I missing any Perl modules on
>
>    Linux? Thanks for your help.
>

>    Iam enclosing both files: script and config file

Seems as if the listserver strips out attachments....  Which is not a
bad thing, IMHO.

>    # perl -v
> This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi
>
> (with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail)
>
>    # uname -a
>
> Linux pc4289 2.4.20-28.9 #1 Thu Dec 18 13:45:22 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
>
>    I know that I should have send this problem to Perl FAQ. Since I get
>    error with Linux I thought that I shall ask here. Sorry for that.
>
>     Error I get on Linux:
>
>   # ./dnewsreport103.pl -f ./dnewsreport.103.conf
>
> Error in ./dnewsreport.103.conf line 9: must be 'section' instead of '#'

One common problem that presents itself in many ways is the setting of
the LANG environment variable.  In later versions of RH it often
defaults to:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

try changing that to

LANG=en_US

or whatever you are using minus the .UTF-8

This is just a stab in the dark.  YMMV.

Ed

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"