large email queues

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Nov 30 18:27:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:21:14PM +0500, Aasef Iqbal wrote:
> I am working with a hosting company. One of our servers is being to
> SPAM. I can see large number of emails being sent to few particular
> domains. The sender is either <> or <anonymouse at mydomain.com>

The reason you get these (and we get a lot of these too) is that the
spammers send to usernames that don't exist.  They then don't allow a
non-delivery receipt by either having a very, very slow mail responder
on their end, or no mail responder at all.

If you can identify the spammer, you may reject them from sending you
e-mail in the first place.  At least your queues won't back up trying to
send the bounces back.  You will have the challenge of ensuring that you
do not reject legitimate e-mail and that's a VERY large challenge.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org