Using Firewall Builder

Volker Kindermann ml at ps102.de
Sun Oct 3 09:04:47 UTC 2004

Hi Menon,

> I was very busy with studies yesterday. But I got to install
> firewall builder. I am a bit confused on how to use it.
> Will it use the existing iptables file or make a new file for
> it.

it will make a new file for it.

Best method for beginners is:

- define objects in your environment, such as networks, hosts, etc.
- add a firewall
- use the wizard to make a basic configuration of this firewall
- fine tune your rules by adding more objects and/or rules

> I get some errors too.

I can't really help you with the errors. Did you install from rpms? Did you install the iptables-extensions-rpm (something like fwbuilder-ipt....).

As another user suggested, ask for help about these errors on the fwbuilder.org site (forum, mailinglist). I can confirm that the author is very responsive and will help you.

 -volker