Intel or AMD for VMWare?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Mon Oct 4 13:10:01 UTC 2004

Okay, I've been trying out VMWare 4.5 at home and at work.  So far, it
seems very cool!  I should be able to have the base OS be WhiteBox linux
(RHEL recompile distro) and only have Win2k as a VM when I need to do
something on M$.

So far I've only tried VMWare on P4's with 1GB of RAM and hyperthreading,
and I've noticed that VM will eat up all of the processing time on one of
the HT CPU's.  Now, I've been thinking of upgrading my home server (right
now it's an AMD Athlon XP 2100+), and am wondering if it would be better
to go with one of AMD's 64bit processors or with a P4 with HT.  The load
on the server isn't that high typically (mostly just a web and email
server), but I want to be able to VM effectively.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ben