Access to PCI configuration space 0xcf8,0xcfc fails from linux co mmand prompt

Krishnaswamy, Jayashree Jaya.Krishnaswamy at fci.com
Tue Oct 19 05:02:36 UTC 2004

Hi ,
I have a CompactPCI based board with Intel Pentium M processor, E7501 memory
controller hub (North Bridge),
ICH-3S (South Bridge).
The board boots with our proprietry BIOS (based on Phoenix BIOS).
I can sucessfully load Redhat 9.0.
The problem I face is when I try to use inl & outl commands to read/write to
PCI configuration space (address 0xcf8 and 0xcfc registers).
Following are the commands,
even write to 0xcf8 isnt working
root at cpci745:~/jaya# ./inl 0xcf8
0x8000F800
root at cpci745:~/jaya# ./outl 0xcf8 0x80000000
root at cpci745:~/jaya# ./inl 0xcf8
0x8000F800

Standard linux commands such as lspci, pcitweak work fine, these commands in
turn require access to the PCI configuration space registers.

Please can anybody throw some light on the cause of this problem?

Thanks very much,
Jayashree