Modems/Paging

keith morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Tue Oct 19 16:27:41 UTC 2004

Shane Presley wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I hope this is the right list, if not, please point me in the right
> direction.  I'm very new to red hat, and Linux in general.  My
> background is Windows and Solaris.  I am ordering a Dell server w/
> RedHat ES on it, for an opensource monitoring package (Big Brother).
> I'll need a modem on it to do dial-out paging. Does anyone have any
> experience with this?
>
> Will an external US Robotics serial modem work.  How about USB?  Are
> the drivers included in RedHat or will I need to get them from US
> Robotics.

Personally, I would go with the serial modem.  Tastes great, less
filling,  I mean works great easy to setup.  Haven't done the USB modem
thingy yet.  Go to www.tldp.org and search for articles containing
"serial".  Good info there.

> How about paging software?  I dont think Big Brother comes with it, so
> I'll have to fire off an external script?

Natively, the only tool that comes with Linux, AFAIK, is "chat".  Should
be to hard to gen up some scripts that do your paging for you.  Also I
believe that mgetty would be something to look at also.