More Details on /proc files

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Fri Oct 29 17:09:55 UTC 2004

As far as I know, information from 'man proc' correctly describes the
contents of /proc files (i.e. fields described in 'man proc' have the
meanings as described there). Information on additional fields or files
not desribed there could be found in the kernel source tree - in the
file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt or in source code
files itself (for example, meaning of additional fields in
/proc/<pid>/stat could be undestood after reading the source code of
function proc_pid_stat in the file /usr/src/linux/fs/proc/array.c). I
think that some fields are not described in 'man proc' because their
meanings are not yet stabilized and could be changed in newer kernels,
so you should not rely on values of those nondescribed fields.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com