How about linux support for AMD64 K8?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Oct 31 06:31:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Yin Ming wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I'm going to buy a new computer in about Jan nest year. and I'm
> wondering which system I should choose. AMD64 or P4?
>
> It's just for home use. Surfing, DVD, a little game, and much coding as
> hobby. I know even my old K6-400 box is enought for these, but I'd like
> to get a long-life one, which won't be washed out in couple of years.
>
> So I want to get a AMD 64. In few years, I think, 64bits OS and
> application will replace the 32 ones. So, though AMD64 K8 is not a
> mature one, it's cheap for me and, at least, it's 64 bit.
>
> So how about the supporting from linux world? I heard some OS had have a
> 64bit core. When will linux support 64bit overally? Will AMD64 K8 work
> fine in the feature?

I am using Fedora Core 3 test 2 on an HP zv5000z AMD64 laptop right now.

It is not perfect.  If you have devices that will only work through 32 bit
wrapper code, you will not like it.  (Broadcom network cards and the ndis
hack come to mind.)  You wind up having 32 bit and 64 bit libraries in
some places.  Some things don't compile for 64 bit either.

It is fast and it is cool and you can't beat it for the price.

I guess it all depends on what you need to do.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.