Badblocks found, now what?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Oct 6 11:30:57 UTC 2004

Matt Gross wrote:
 > A suggestion found on google was to check the blocks on
> the disk with badblocks.  This I have done and turned up 4
> bad blocks.  My question is, now what?  Is my disk going
> to die?

It is already dying.

> Is there a way to find out what files are stored
> in those bad blocks?  Can I simply mark those blocks as
> bad and continue using the drive?

Once a drive starts to fail, it will typically continue failing.  Your
best option now is to purchase another drive and copy your data over
(mondorescue should help here).  With luck, the disk will last long
enough to get all of your data off.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA