Syslogging iptables -aditional Qs

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Oct 7 10:35:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:49:40 -0400, menonrr at jmu.xxx wrote:

> 1. While logging iptables what is the major difference in
> debug, info, and warning levels, if I can use them as a option
> for --log-level? I see the default level is warning.

The difference is in how sysklogd receives them and whether syslogd
stores the received messages in a file and which file. For syslogd,
those levels are "priority" values, read the manual pages you're
pointed to when running "rpm --query --docfiles sysklogd".

> 2. Is there a way I can send syslog to another server for
> analysis? Some steps would be wonderful! if possible.

See the manual pages. You can forward to other syslogd servers
when you specifiy  @hostname  in the configuration file instead
of a local file name and provided that the remote syslogd
is listening to the network. For that you would need to complete
the options in /etc/sysconfig/syslog

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.8-1.521
loadavg: 2.05 1.55 0.93