newbie - Remote logging - Help

menonrr at jmu.edu menonrr at jmu.edu
Fri Oct 8 17:12:06 UTC 2004

Hello,

I need to log the syslog messages from a host 192.168.1.10 to
a host 192.168.1.3. Both are running Redhat 9 Linux.

There is no DNS in the network.

I did the following steps:

On the log server:
------------------

1. I edited the /etc/services file to add the line

syslogd    514/UDP

2. I stopped the syslogd with "service syslogd stop".
3. I restarted the network service too?
4. I srated the syslogd from command line using "syslogd -r"

Question: Can syslog do both remote (listen for other syslogs)
and local logging (for the log server's messages)?

---------------------
On the remote machine:
---------------------

1. I edited /etc/syslog.conf to add this line

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
@mycomputer  -------> New line

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
/var/log/messages -------> Deleted Line

2. In the /etc/hosts file I entered the line

192.168.1.3   mycomputer

Problem: The syslogd failed to start.

Please advise.

Thanks a lot.