X setup via bash?

Eric Scott scottclansman at cwazy.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 15:25:56 UTC 2004

Heya; I've got Redhat 8.0 on my system with a Panasonic E15 monitor.  My
E15 never has gotten along with the default E15 settings on the
different Linux distros, but I found the custom setting that works.
Problem: Today I changed the resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 to try
to get tuxracer to work right, but forgot to make the required change in
the refresh rates to make my little ol' monitor happy.  How do I change
it back to 1024x768 via the command line? I'm fairly new to Linux, and
am mostly lost when it comes to system config via bash.
   Thanx,
       ES

PS: I tried and tried to subscribe to the Psyche (8.0) list for this
question... no go.  Is it down, or did they just discontinue it when the
  open-source redhat switched to fedora?  Ah for debian...
not-for-profit makes for much less annoyance for me, though I understand
some corporations prefer expensive phone support to developer community
mailling lists.