FC2 - Booting from remaining raid disk

Matthew Claridge mclaridge at rwa-net.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 15:05:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've got a basic FC2 installation, using software raid 1 across two IDE
hard disks. Each hard disk is the master drive on its controller (so one
is Primary master and the other is secondary master).

If I remove the secondary master drive and boot the machine, all is
well. If I remove the primary master, linux fails to boot (the bios
cannot find an OS to boot). Even if I connect the secondary master hard
disk to the primary master controller, it still cannot boot. So its as
though linux hasn't mirrored the boot image successfully across the two
disks.

There are three partitions on these disks, /dev/md[0-2]. /boot is on md0
and / is on md1. Grub is installed on /dev/md0.

There's an easy way around this, which is to use a boot disk, which
should boot regardless of which disk has failed, and I know that linux
will carry on working happily if either disk fails, but I'd like to find
out why its misbehaving and correct it so that it can boot normally
after a disk failure, making the whole thing a bit more resilient,
especially if there's a delay obtaining a new hard disk or something.

Anyone got any ideas?

thanks
Matt