moving /usr directory

Jeff jeff at virgin.net
Tue Oct 12 18:34:15 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Is there a quick and easy way to move a main OS directory (im thinking /usr since its taking up most of the space - ~900MB) to a different drive without any hassle. At the moment all but /home are on hda2 but this disk is almost full. Ive already got another drive installed with plenty of free space (hdc). I suspect this will cause problems but thought its worth asking.

if the above isn't quick nor easy then can someone suggest another solution to re-jig my setup?

Here's the current state..

$df -h
/dev/hda2             1.4G  1.1G  207M  85% /
/dev/hda1              63M  6.3M   54M  11% /boot
/dev/hda3             248M  132M  104M  56% /home
none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdd1              77G   58G   19G  76% /fileserv

+ another 80GB drive that isnt formatted yet (hdc)

/dev/hdd (/fileserv) cannot be touched (this is where my important stuff is) and I dont really want to reinstall the OS.

It's my own fault for putting such a small disk in it originally - it was only gonna hold network shares but I'm starting to use it more since being forced back to Windows (don't even ask ;)].

All suggestions welcome.
TIA
Jeff