How to set language/charset for X??

殷鸣 yinming at mdc-ds.com
Wed Oct 13 08:40:37 UTC 2004

Hi, list matters.

I'd like to set different lang/charset for text-mode console and X. I
mean, when I login via the program "login", I use LC_ALL=A, and when I
login by xdm (it should be gdm, since I use Gnome), I can use LC_ALL-B
as the local. How to set that?

The problem I got is: The language is set to Chinese GB as default, so I
can enjoy a good X language environment. But when I login into text-mode
sonsole, many coreutils tools print still Chinese characters because of
the default LANG setting. But my text-mode console cannot display
Chinese chars correctly, so I cannot read error messages and help infos
under text-mode console. I'd like to set LC_ALL=C for text-mode console,
and Chinese for X. I tried to set LC_ALL=C in my .bash_profile, but it
changed the lang environment of X. Oh, help me!