Event log monitoring

Harper Mann hmann at itgroundwork.com
Wed Oct 13 21:42:09 UTC 2004

Syslog can do this.  You need the "-r" switch to allow the central syslog
server to receive forwarded log entries from "clients".  Try "man syslogd".
You can set the -r option in /etc/sysconfig/syslog by adding it to the
SYSLOGD_OPTIONS string.  Run "service syslog restart" after....

On the client servers you want to forward, just add "*.*	@server" to
/etc/syslog.conf.  This will forward all syslog entries to "server".  You
need to restart syslog after changing the .conf file.  "man syslog.conf"
will give you more options for finer control of what's forwarded.

For log file analysis, there is a project called "syslog-ng" which works
well.  You can find this at http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng/

Lastly, if you want to forward windows event logs, you can use a service
called Snare.  http://www.intersectalliance.com/snareserver/index.html

Hope this helps,

- Harper

Harper Mann