Recursive Searches

Rigler, Stephen C. srigler at marathonoil.com
Thu Oct 14 19:25:53 UTC 2004

For something like that I'd use "find" instead of ls.

find . -name \*.php
or
find /some/path -name \*.php

"locate" is also an option, but it won't catch files that were
created since updatedb last ran.

If you were trying to recursively search for a string in a file
use grep like:

grep -r "some string" .
or
grep -r "some string" /some/path