file size limit for the ext3 file system

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Oct 14 22:49:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:44:35 -0400 (EDT), Christopher L Judd wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am running Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 3, unpatched (kernel
> 2.4.21-4.ELsmp).  Can anyone tell
> me or
> point me in the direction of documentation that would tell me the file
> size limit for the ext3 file system?   I have a 4.6 GB file on gistest
> that isn't recognized by the ArcSDE import command line utility.

Needless to say, when you have a 4.6 GB file already, obviously the
file-system is not limited to less than that. But your utility is the
culprit most likely, because 32-bit applications must implement large
file support in userspace in order to handle files above 2 GB in size.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 0.60 0.23 0.13