the command "ls -l"

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Sun Oct 17 03:46:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Yagnesh Gajjar wrote:

> the command "ls -l" shows many things along with the file name, time
> stamp......etc. we see something similar to
> -rwxrwxr--  3 root root 345 sep 20 2004 20:23 am test
> brwxrwxr--
> crwxrwxr--
> drwxrwxr--
> here what d, c, b denote. moreover what 3 stands for
> same command in the directory dev shows different

d indicates directory...not sure what b and c are.  Not sure what 3 is,
though I think it has something to do with directory depth (level of
subdirectories under the directory in question).  On my system, the only
time I see a number greater than one is on subdirectories.

> -rwxrwxr--  3 root root 13, 345 sep 20 2004 20:23 am test
> -rwxrwxr--  3 root root 27, 3456 sep 20 2004 20:23 am test
> here what does 13 and 27 show....?

/dev houses device files.  The 13 and 27, in this case, are called "Major"
numbers.

A description of major and minor numbers can be found here:

http://docsrv.sco.com/HDK_concepts/ddT_majmin.html and another here:

http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/linux/rute/node18.htm

And another here:

http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-12-1996/swol-12-sysadmin.html

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit