help with ndiswrapper (or DriverLoader)

Reinout Roels reinout.roels at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:38:46 UTC 2004

i installed linux (red hat 9) for the first time this morning.
Luckily i got cabled internet running right away, but the problem is,
i need to get my USR wireless lan card working, cause i can't stay
cabled.

after some research i found ndiswrapper would be ideal to get the
drivers working.
the problem is: as i'm sooo new te linux, i don't quite know what to do...
can anyone help me... i don't quite understand what to do. i
downloaded the source and put it in a folder. the readme says this:

* Quickstart guide *
==================== Prerequisites -------------
* You need a recent kernel (at least 2.6.0 or 2.4.20) with source.
* Make sure there is a link to the source from the modules directory:
'/lib/modules/<VERSION>/build' should be a link to the kernel source,
where <VERSION> is the version of the kernel you are running.
* Some vendors ship ndiswrapper in their distributions. Either use it
or make sure you remove it before installing ndiswrapper by yourself.

Upgrading
=========

If you are upgrading from version 0.4 or earlier make sure you delete
any old version of loadndisdriver and any configuration in
modules.conf and modprobe.conf since the new commands are not
compatible with this release.

Installation
============

1. Compile and install
----------------------
As root run

> make install

This should compile both the kernel module and the userspace utilities.

i have kernel 2.4.20-8, if you need more info, just ask

i also tried DriverLoader, i'm pretty sure i picked the correct
installer, but it won't work.
i put it on my HD, if i double click it, it opens, it shows a progres
bar , it says "reading packet headers" or something, and then all of a
sudden it shuts down, and nothing happens anymore.

i'm sorry for the rush, but i would like to be spoon-fed this info,
because of the simple reason i can only be on the internet via cable
today, from tomorrow on i have to get the wireless thing working
i searched a little on the internet, but it is not suite made for linux noobs :s

Reinout,