Linux Router/Firewall/Load Balancing Multiple Connections

Brian McGrew Brian at doubledimension.com
Mon Oct 18 16:52:41 UTC 2004

Good morning all, I know this question has been asked a million times
but I'm going to put a bit of a twist on it.

I've got a T1 connection coming in on a Cisco 2600 router going into a
Checkpoint firewall on an Ultra 5.  I've also got a cable modem plugged
into one of my workstations on a second nic because lets face it, a T1
is nice, but 1.5MB by today's standards is slow.

What I would like to do it build a linux box.  I'd put the T1 on eth0.
I'd put the cable modem on eth1 and my network on eth2.  I'd want the
linux box to act as not only a firewall but somewhat of a router and my
network is not using private IP's, it's all public.

So I'd like traffic coming in on the T1 to be routed to the appropriate
host for service.  I'd like outbound traffic (i.e.. Web surfing, ftp,
net radio) to be routed outbound on the cable modem.  The catch is that
I support some clients that I'd need to have some of the outbound
traffic (ssh, rdp) sent out on the T1.

Am I making sense here?  I want to route across two connections to the
outside world for speed reasons.  Can someone tell me how to do this or
point me to a good how-to.

Thanks,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew {brian at doubledimension.com || pacemakertaker at rock.com }