Dial-up Internet Access

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 19 10:08:16 UTC 2004

Nathaniel Hall wrote:
> While on the subject of modems, here is a question for ya.  I am running
> Fedora Core 2 on a system with a Hayes external serial modem.  I would
> like to make this system dial-out to my ISP and use it as my firewall
> between the ISP and my private network.
>
> I tried this before, but I forgot what problems I was having.  I would
> like to be able to do this all from command line so that I can place
> everything in a script so that when the connection drops it
> automatically redials to the ISP.  Any suggestions?

For dialling automatically I would use ppp on demand. All you have to do
is pass the demand and persistent options to pppd. If you also set the
onboot parameter, you will not have to do anything. Just boot the
computer, and if a program requires internet access, pppd will take care
of dialling and connecting.

I also run an ip-up.local which I've symlinked to a firewall script so
when the ppp connection is established, it runs the firewall script
(which in turn sets up the firewall according to the external ip address
the connection now holds).

Run's beautiful - no maintenance required.

Regards,
Ed.