nvidia drivers & rivafb

Lew Bloch conrad at lewscanon.com
Wed Oct 20 16:28:02 UTC 2004

Richie Turner wrote:
>>> i installed the nvidia drivers on RHEL3 WS and it says
>>> i need to disable rivafb support becuase it interferes
>>> with the nvidia driver. I've done some research but

Edward replied:
> I think you're looking in the wrong place. I think you need to take the
> reference to rivafb out of your X configuration file.

Actually, this is a non-issue.  The rivafb module is a loadable driver,
and does not conflict with the NVidia driver unless it's loaded, which
it won't be because you're using NVidia.

I have an NVidia card and have always ignored the rivafb message.  No
problems here, other than being very careful that I've recompiled the
driver for any kernel upgrade.

Check the archives for this topic; it's come up many times.