System crashes when running X

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Wed Oct 20 20:32:51 UTC 2004

Hello,
I have a machine running RHEL 3 that crash / completely lock-up randomly. I
think I have narrowed it down that this happens when I am running X and using
the system for normal desktop activity (watching movie, scp-ing files, etc).
The video card is XFX Nvidia GE Force 5200, using the latest nvidia driver. To
be exact, this is the card that I have:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-042&depa=0

The lock-up mostly happens when there's file IO (like SCP) going on. I've
tested my RAM using memtest86 running all test for two days straight and it
did not find any error. I've tested my processors using mprime program
running in 'torture' mode for 3 days straight and they're fine.

The machine would run fine for weeks or months if in runlevel 3 before, doing
all kind of things (backup-ing / transferring Gigabytes or hundreds of
Gigabytes of data, webserving, etc).

So I am not sure what else to check, or how. Is it more likely a software
problem, or the video card (hardware) problem? Does anyone have the same card
running in RHEL 3 or other OS (ie. fedora) and can tell me their experience ?
Does anyone know a utilities or how to stress test a graphic card ? How do I
tell if it's more of video card problem or if it's the motherboard ? I really
hope it's not the motherboard problem, otherwise it'd a real pain.

Thanks

RDB.
--
Reuben D. Budiardja