IP Tables problem

antonio tuozzo at.com at utopianet.net
Thu Oct 21 07:37:34 UTC 2004

Hi Mike,
this is an extract from Tcp/Ip Illustrated (R. Stevens)
When the resolver issues a query and the response comes back with the TC
bit set ("truncated") it means the size of the response exceeded 512
bytes, so only the first 512 bytes were returned by the server. The
resolver normally issues the request again, using TCP. This allows more
than 512 bytes to be returned. Since TCP breaks up a stream of user data
into what it calls /segments,/ it can transfer any amount of user data,
using multiple segments.