Q: how to specify iocharset for cdrom filesystem

Yin Ming yinming at mdc-ds.com
Fri Oct 22 00:41:19 UTC 2004

Hi, all, especially friends speaking non-English languages.

I have RH9 in Chinese environment. It works fine with Chinese characters
in vfat, ext filesystems, but rather bad in cdrom fs, the isonnnn ( I
forget the number ).

First, it decodes Chinese chars as a question mark "?". OK, I could
suffer that by every ??? files one by one, to find out the one I want to
access.

But, when there are files which name are same length, things get worst..
For Example, there are two files: ABC.mp3 and QWE.mp3, there ABC.. are
Chinese chars, then the cdrom fs decodes them as ???.mp3 and ???.mp3. I
ls -l them, they are not only same in decoded name, but in the i-nodes
as well!  So I cannot access another file at all!

Terrible. I tried to mount cdrom with map=no, norock, etc, but I failed.
How do you solve those non-English filename in cdrom?