[OT] What is the physics behind burning CD/DVD [WAS] Re: Fedora 2 install

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Oct 25 11:09:59 UTC 2004

> Interesting point Ed....to that end...I really am beginning to believe
> that certain patterns of data lend themselves to sabotaging the
> burn...just how the data is layed out....perhaps a little too much power
> from the laser on adjascent tracks will damage data already layed
> down....food for thought anyway...I would bet that Blue Ray ends up
> being as sensitive if not worse...

FWIW, have a read on:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/98391358WhitePaper_DVR-OSTA.pdf

It mostly deals with DVD recording an such....but when you read it you
will get a sense of what is involved with reading/writing this type of
media.

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"