BIND process size

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Tue Oct 26 16:15:12 UTC 2004

Because DNS queries ahould be answered very quickly, ndmed tries to
cache as many DNS records it learns from other servers as possible (and
as limited by TTL fields in those records). So, the named daemon could
stabilize using tens of megabytes of RAM. For example, on my servers
after running for long time (months), it uses from 14MB to 37MB,
depending on the number of zones it holds and on intensity of requests
from its clients.

If you want to limit the amount of memory used by named, consider using
the option 'datasize' in named.conf.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com