BIND process size

MKlinke mklinke at axsi.com
Wed Oct 27 04:11:57 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 22:37, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On 10/26/04 22:29, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Alexey Fadyushin wrote:
> >>If you want to limit the amount of memory used by named,
> >> consider using the option 'datasize' in named.conf.
> >
> > I'm not sure that option works in bind 9.2.x ...
>
> It's in the man page for named.conf on 9.2.4.  Whether it works
> is the real question, but the looks of the man page, it's
> supposed to.
>
> 	.../Ed

It's also in the bind administrator's reference manual but
interestingly enough, the recommendation there is not to use it to
limit, but rather increase memory usage:

datasize

    The maximum amount of data memory the server may use. The
default is default. This is a hard limit on server memory usage. If
the server attempts to allocate memory in excess of this limit, the
allocation will fail, which may in turn leave the server unable to
perform DNS service. Therefore, this option is rarely useful as a
way of limiting the amount of memory used by the server, but it can
be used to raise an operating system data size limit that is too
small by default. If you wish to limit the amount of memory used by
the server, use the max-cache-size and recursive-clients options
instead.

I've never used it in practice so I've no experience with it one way
or the other.

Regards, Mike Klinke