"File size limit exceeded" problem in Red Hat 8

Jake Brown bluebird_26m at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 16:55:25 UTC 2004

Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried # dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/point/foo.big bs=1024k count=3000  , and I got

/mnt/point/foo.big  no such file or directory.

My filing system is ext3.

I am using gcc 2.6.3 to generate the trace file, I know that gcc 2.6.3 is a very very old version, however the simulator I have in hand requires that specific version of gcc. It is possible that file manipulation functions, like fopen, fseek etc., in gcc 2.6.3 do not support file sizes greater than 2 GB. Is there a way to work it around? For example, can I compress the trace file on the fly? The syntax I am using to generate a trace file is

./Application_name -- -tx trace.txt

Any ideas?

Jake

Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 07:36:15AM -0700, Jake Brown wrote:
> It is a simple .txt file. The problem has to do something with the
> filing system supported by Red Hat 8, but I could not figure it out
> yet.

On Red Hat Linux 8 with an ext3 file system, you do not have a 2GB file
size limitation. To verify this, do:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/point/foo.big bs=1024k count=3000

That should give you a 3G file and prove to you that the file system
does support large files.

It's quite possibly and likely that the application is broken and that
it does not support large files even though the operating system does.

Also, when reporting problems like this, it's helpful to tell us you
which file system you're actually using rather than letting us guess.
Do a 'df -T' and it will tell you.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA