"File size limit exceeded" problem in Red Hat 8

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 17:31:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 12:55, Jake Brown wrote:
> Ed,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I tried # dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/point/foo.big bs=1024k count=3000  , and I got
>
> /mnt/point/foo.big  no such file or directory.
>
> My filing system is ext3.
>
> I am using gcc 2.6.3 to generate the trace file, I know that gcc 2.6.3 is a very very old version, however the simulator I have in hand requires that specific version of gcc. It is possible that file manipulation functions, like fopen, fseek etc., in gcc 2.6.3 do not support file sizes greater than 2 GB. Is there a way to work it around? For example, can I compress the trace file on the fly? The syntax I am using to generate a trace file is
>
> ./Application_name -- -tx trace.txt
>
> Any ideas?

I believe it is the system call definitions you are using and not the
compiler. If you look in /usr/include/features.h you may see things like

__USE_LARGEFILE64
__USE_FILE_OFFSET64

These defines determine the internal format of the system calls you are
using in your program. And I believe you may have to use fopen64 rather
than fopen.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>