ftp questions....

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Oct 30 13:14:15 UTC 2004

On 10/30/04 07:46, bruce wrote:

> i have a few questions regarding the setup of an ftp server... i currently
> have an ftp server/app running. it was setup by someone esle, but i don't
> know how to find out which app it is. how can i find out what app is
> actually running the ftp server? i'd like to be able to make changes to the
> config file (where ever it is) so i can allow users to utilize the app!!!

Sometimes if you go to a command line and ftp localhost, the server will
respond with what it is.  Are you really sure that you have an ftp
server running?

Red Hat shipped wu-ftpd as its default ftp server up through about Red
Hat Linux 7.3 I think and then switched to vsftpd.

On my RHEL 3 system, this answers it clearly (it's line wrapped):
[ewilts at p6000 ewilts]$ ps -aef | grep ftp
root      4634     1  0 Sep18 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/vsftpd
/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

The FTP server is not enabled by default and may not even be installed.
  You'll need to install it and then use chkconfig to turn it on and
perhaps also need to start it depending on whether it's a daemon or
xinetd service.

> also, is there a 'prefered/best' ftp server that's used for the linux
> platform, or is it pretty much the default server shipped with the RH rpms.
> if there is a preference, which one...???

It depends on what you want to do.  For simple configurations, vsftpd is
okay.  For complex configurations, you'll need something like ProFTPd or
wu-ftpd.  I've switched to using ProFTPd at work since vsftpd is way,
way too insecure for us.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org