ftp questions....

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Sat Oct 30 14:39:04 UTC 2004

Look at the output of a command 'netstat -ltp | grep :ftp'. It will show
the name of a proccess listening on ftp port. If your FTP server is
running as a standalone server (i.e. accepts incoming connections
itself) it will show the FTP daemon's name (e.g. vsftpd). If your FTP
server is started from xinetd on each request, the output of this
command will show that 'xinetd' is listening on ftp port. In this case
yopu should look at the xinetd.d configuration (/etc/xinetd.conf and
files in /etc/xinetd.d) and find in those files the name of a program
which is responsible for service 'ftp' (it is 'server' oprtion
inxinetd.configuration). The program shown in 'server' option in xinetd
configuration for service ftp will be the ftp server daemon program
(e.g. /usr/sbin/vsftpd).

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com