ftp questions....

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Oct 30 17:31:04 UTC 2004

On 10/30/04 10:42, bruce wrote:
> ok...
>
> so i have the proftpd config file at"
>   -->>>./usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
>
> cool....
>
> now i simply need to get better at understanding the config options...
>
> is there anyone here, who has proftpd config experience if i have a question
> that i can't get resolved via google/docs? given the security issues with
> ftp servers, i'd rather not screw this up!

http://www.proftpd.org.  You should note that ProFTPd is continually
updated so you may want to start with a current version.  Since the
version you've got was hacked in there with non-standard stuff, you may
want to consider starting over with a fresh rpm install.  There are rpms
for proftpd at Dag's archive at http://dag.wieers.com/packages/proftpd/

> also, are there any 'open source'/free ftp gui client apps that handle ftp
> over ssh?

Not really. There's sftp but that does not use an ftp server - it merely
emulates ftp functions over an ssh connection.  It's likely that you
already have that.  If you have an ssh daemon running, sftp probably
already works. In other words, you want a GUI sftp client, not a GUI ftp
client.  Go go google and search for "linux sftp gui" and you'll get a
lot of responses.  For Windows, I use WinSCP, a free scp/sftp client.

There is activity to standardize ftp/tls but the ftp protocol is such
that this can never really be done in a secure fashion if you have
firewalls in place.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org