adding IDE Controller to RedHat 9 on i686

Alexander Povolotsky pevnev at juno.com
Sun Oct 31 05:02:39 UTC 2004

I have Linux Red Hat 9 on Pentium III PC (Dell Optiplex 110,  848 Mhz, 128 Mb of memory )running off the 8 Gb Disk Drive; there is also small boot drive on that IDE controller.

I ran out of disk space on that 8 Gb disk drive.

There is also another IDE controller for the CD-ROM.
I added 20 GB Maxtor Gb IDE Hard Disk drive to the existing controller -
it works OK.

So now I have:

[root at localhost root]# mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /opt type ext3 (rw)

[root at localhost root]# df -k
/dev/hda2              7930044   6670732    856484  89% /
/dev/hda1               101089      9362     86508  10% /boot
none                     62356         0     62356   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb1             20034700   1669424  17347560   9% /opt

But I need even more disk space ...

I bought SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller and 80 Gb
Western Digital IDE disk drive - how could I add this new controller
with this new disk drive and make existing Linux
recognize this new drive as additional disk space ?
Is SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller
supported by RedHat 9 ? If yes, do I need to do something specific
(like compiling module ? - if yes - could it be 'dynamically loadable
module' or the module should be statically compiled into the kernel ? -
are steps to be performed documented someplace on-line ?).

Somebody told me that 'SIIG's IDE controller is a bad choice for
Linux Red Hat 9 and that the IDE UltraATA 100 PCI Controller Model "ULTRA100 TX2from 'Promise' is better supported by RedHat 9 - is it true ? If yes, again, do I need to do something specific (like compiling module ? - if yes - could it be 'dynamically loadable module' or the module should be statically compiled into the kernel ?

I also was told that tsome motherboards would not support more than 32 Gb drive - how could I check what my motherboard limit is?

Thanks,
Alex