adding IDE Controller to RedHat 9 on i686

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sun Oct 31 14:14:56 UTC 2004

On 10/31/04 00:02, Alexander Povolotsky wrote:
> I have Linux Red Hat 9 on Pentium III PC (Dell Optiplex 110,  848
> Mhz, 128 Mb of memory )running off the 8 Gb Disk Drive; there is also
> small boot drive on that IDE controller.

> I bought SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller and 80 Gb Western Digital
> IDE disk drive - how could I add this new controller with this new
> disk drive and make existing Linux recognize this new drive as
> additional disk space ?

Many UltraATA controllers appear to Linux as SCSI controllers since
that's what the BIOS says.  I had a Promise controller once and I had to
tell the BIOS to boot off a SCSI disk if I wanted to boot from a disk
plugged into the UltraATA controller.

> Is SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller
> supported by RedHat 9 ? If yes, do I need to do something specific

It's probably supported.  Plug it in and look in dmesg for /dev/sda
devices.  Do an fdisk /dev/sda and see if it sees your 80GB drive.

> I also was told that tsome motherboards would not support more than
> 32 Gb drive - how could I check what my motherboard limit is?

Your system should not have this limit.  If you're using LILO, you
should switch to GRUB though.  GRUB is the default for Red Hat Linux 9
so unless you changed it, you should be okay.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org