adding IDE Controller to RedHat 9 on i686

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 31 18:48:10 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts wrote:
> On 10/31/04 00:02, Alexander Povolotsky wrote:
>
>> I have Linux Red Hat 9 on Pentium III PC (Dell Optiplex 110,  848
>> Mhz, 128 Mb of memory )running off the 8 Gb Disk Drive; there is also
>> small boot drive on that IDE controller.
>

>> I bought SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller and 80 Gb Western Digital
>> IDE disk drive - how could I add this new controller with this new
>> disk drive and make existing Linux recognize this new drive as
>> additional disk space ?
>

> Many UltraATA controllers appear to Linux as SCSI controllers since
> that's what the BIOS says.  I had a Promise controller once and I had to
> tell the BIOS to boot off a SCSI disk if I wanted to boot from a disk
> plugged into the UltraATA controller.
>
>> Is SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller supported by RedHat 9 ? If yes, do
>> I need to do something specific
>

> It's probably supported.  Plug it in and look in dmesg for /dev/sda
> devices.  Do an fdisk /dev/sda and see if it sees your 80GB drive.
>
>> I also was told that tsome motherboards would not support more than
>> 32 Gb drive - how could I check what my motherboard limit is?
>

> Your system should not have this limit.  If you're using LILO, you
> should switch to GRUB though.  GRUB is the default for Red Hat Linux 9
> so unless you changed it, you should be okay.

That's interesting. When I upgraded to RH7.3 I added a big drive to my
ancient Iwill xa-100+ based machine using a Maxtor (rebranded Promise
using PDC20267) ATA-100 card and drives showed up as /dev/hde thru
/dev/hdh. Worked fine. What DID NOT WORK, however, was my floppy drive.
That controller stomped all over it, forcing me to justify a CDRW.
Sometimes, you just can't lose for winning! :-)