High end network routing,

Brian D. McGrew brian at doubledimension.com
Sun Oct 31 21:59:47 UTC 2004

A couple of quick questions and a sanity check ... I have a very large
network that i need to subnet and seperate out into VLANS and I want to
use Linux.

Right now, what I have are three Cisco Catalyst WS3548-XL switches.  I
need to create four VLANS, Admin/Sales, Engineering, Software and
Manufacturing.  I have a Cisco 2610 behind a Checkpoint firewall, load
balancing two T1's out to the world.

What I'm thinking about doing is setting up a Linux box (Fedora Core 2)
with five ethernet interfaces in it.  The existing switches will not do
Layer 3 routing but they will share the VLAN segments.

So, if I were to have the four VLANS, set the Linux box as the router
for all four and then make the fifth interface in the box my connection
to the outside world, would this work?  How would I go about
configuring routing on the Linux host so that all the networks can
talk?  And lastly, assuming that I'm going to be using a 100MB
connections between everything (as opposed to gig), what kind of speed
constraints am I looking at?  A consultant trying to sell me a $17k
Foundry switch is telling me that the new switch will route at 'wire'
speed but I was under the impression that a Linux box would do the same
thing?

Any help would be great here, I really don't have the luxury of
spending $17k on a new switch right now but I need to revive a failing
network.

Thanks,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew		{ brian at doubledimension.com ||